2003 - JOBSTOR.COM
|This category in other languages:|
- David Rumsey Collection
- Over 6,000 high-resolution digital images of maps from the David Rumsey Collection, one of the largest private collections of historic maps in the US. Focus is 18th and 19th c. North and South America cartographic materials.
- Antiquarian Maps at the Reed College Library - Collection of 100 maps from around the world, 15th to 19th century. Reed College Library, Oregon.
- Antique Maps of the Pacific Ocean - Antique maps (pre-1800) for the Pacific Ocean and its islands.
- Athena Review Image Archive: New World Maps and Site Plans - Maps of Columbus' voyages, 16th c. Central and South America.
- Athena Review Image Archive: Old World Maps and Site Plans - Maps of Roman Gaul, 60 - 50 BC.
- Atlas Coelestis - Celestial cartography maps.
- Balkans, 1829 - 1829 military map of Balkans. Site text is in German.
- Batavia Virtual Museum - Collection of maps from the 17th and 18th century, as part of a site on the history of the Dutch East India Company (VOC). Commentary in English and Dutch.
- Bodleian Library - The Map Case - Sample of images from Oxford's collection, focusing on Great Britain.
- Boundaries of the Contiguous United States - Animation showing the evolution of state boundaries in the United States from the original 13 colonies to its present state.
- Canada at Scale: Maps of our History - National Archives of Canada online exhibition with large collection of digital maps and historical explanation. 16th to 19th century maps of Canada and North America.
- Catalan Atlas - Atlas circa 1375 attributed to Cresques Abraham showing Europe and Asia. Site includes detailed description and analysis.
- Chorographia Britanniae - Images and commentary on the Chorographia Britanniae, an atlas of the counties of England and Wales, first published in 1742 by Thomas Badeslade and William Henry Toms.
- Collectio Felbar - 16th to 19th century maps and views of Croatia, Dalmatia and Istria.
- Diego Gutierrez Map of America, 1562 - Western Hemisphere map; site includes historical information with scrolling and zooming map viewer.
- Discus Media 1900 European Maps Collection - Collection of over 800 images of maps displaying the Old World as it looked like about 100 years ago. City maps, area maps.
- Dutch City maps from the Blaeu Atlas 1649/1652 - 50 Holland city maps from 1650 atlas Toonneel der Steden. Site is in English; some maps include city histories in Dutch.
- Exploring Florida - Includes hundreds of Florida maps and detail views from 1584 to the present.
- FEEFHS Map Room - 50 detailed maps of Germany, Austria-Hungary, Russia, the Balkans, and the Baltics from the 1882 Blackie and Sons atlas. Federation of East European Family History Societies.
- Finland History - Maps showing the history of the Finnish-related people of Russia. Includes maps of city locations, name changes, and much commentary.
- Finland Info - Antique maps showing Finland in relation to the rest of Europe. Maps from 15th c. to modern. Includes some historical commentary.
- F.Y.R. Macedonia from Antiquity to Present Day - Macedonia from 1477 to 1928. Downloadable.
- Genmaps - Great Britain maps, 16th thru 19th century, divided into counties / regions.
- GeoHistory - Comprehensive package of interactive historical maps
- Germany at the End of the 18th Century - Maps of different parts of Germany at the end of the 18th century drawn by the author and links to maps of the same period show the political division of Germany
- Henry Davis Cartographic Images - 300 high-resolution images of period maps divided into Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance periods. Emphasis on world maps.
- Historical Atlas of the 20th Century - Large collection of color-coded atlas maps showing world population, governments, wars, and other historical trends. Many include brief historical commentaries.
- Historical Maps From Early America - 1790 - 1810 maps of United States, including Revolutionary War battle areas. Historical notes with each map.
- History Link 101 Map Page - Collection of historical and educational maps of ancient Africa, China, Egypt, Greece, Mesopotamia, Rome, Middle Ages and Prehistoric Man.
- Holy Roman Empire 1789-1815 - German states and principalities from 17th to 19th c.
- Images of Early Maps on the Web - Comprehensive list of sites containing historical maps.
- India Political History - 20 political maps of India from the ancient times to the modern. Also includes a brief history of India.
- James Ford Bell Library - 30 explorer and mariner maps of 15th to 19th century, concentrating on world maps and the Americas. Most maps can be zoomed in to see details. University of Minnesota.
- Janssonius Map of the Netherlands - 1658. View entire map, or divided into modern provinces.
- Japanese Historical Maps from UC Berkeley - Online gallery of 2,300 early maps of Japan and the World. Collection was acquired by the University of California from the Mitsui family in 1949.
- Jerusalem - Twenty maps of the city of Jerusalem from 6th to 19th century with commentary from the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- John Snow's London, 1859 - A historical map with sites of Victorian London during the time of Dr. John Snow (1813-58), the prominent epidemiologist and anesthesiologist.
- King County Aerial Photos: Historical vs Recent - Aerial photographs from the 1930's, 1970's, and 1990's illustrating the growth of several areas in King County, WA.
- Le Grand Atlas by Johan Blaeu - Images of the French Edition (1667, 12 Volumes) of Le Grand Atlas by Johan Blaeu.
- Map Reference - A Web bibliography of non-printed reference material on the history of maps and cartography.
- MapForum.com - On-line magazine about antique maps with articles about mapmaking, exhibits, and classified ads.
- Michican Historical Museum : What's Cool About Maps? - The "What's Cool About Maps" exhibit at the Michigan Historical Museum, Lansing, features 29 historic maps of the Great Lakes region from 1669 to 1882.
- Michigan & the Great Lakes - Images and descriptions of the history of the Great Lakes as depicted in actual maps from 1571 to 1865. Includes significant maps of French, English and American periods.
- OSSHE Historic Atlas Resource Library - Socio- and political maps of 18th and 19th century United States; classical age Mediterranean. Some maps require Shockwave plug-in.
- Periodical historical Atlas of Europe - Maps showing political status of Europe and Mediterranean basin at the end of each century from AD 1 to AD 2000, plus maps of historical battle sites. Site in English and French.
- Perry-Casteneda Library Map Collection - University of Texas-Austin Perry-Castaņeda Library Map Collection. 200+ links to other map collections; emphasis on 19th century America maps.
- Piri Reis Map - Partial map (c. 1513?) discovered in 1929 depicting eastern Americas and Antarctica. Map is drawn in portolan style (radiating circles) and credited to Turkish admiral.
- Roman Maps : Tacitus - Maps of areas referred to by Cornelius Tacitus in "The Histories", A.D. 1.
- Russian Cartography of the Baltic Sea, 18th century - Atlas of the Baltic Sea (Atlas vsego Baltiiskago morya...) by Aleksei Nagaev 1757. High and low resolution images photographed from the University of Helsinki Library.
- San Jose State University Art of Cartography - 20 maps of the New World, India, Africa, and Asia from 16th and 17th century. Includes 2 11th century Arabic maps.
- Trenches on the Web - WWI Map Room - World War I Western Front maps, including trench locations for major battles.
- Turkey in Maps - On-line exhibitions of antique maps of Turkish Empire and Asia Minor (present day Turkey).
- United States Digital Map Library - Online archive of state, county, and treaty maps.
- United States Library of Congress Map Collections - Searchable collection of digitized maps in the public domain from North America, 1544-1996. Grouped into categories: cities, environment, exploration, immigration, military, and transportation.
- United States NOAA Office of Coast Survey - Nautical charts and sketches of the United States coast from the 18th and 19th c. sorted by state.
- University of Bern (Switzerland) Ryhiner Project - 16th to 18th c. maps of Germany, Switzerland, and France from the University and Canton archives.
- University of Virginia: Maps from Columbus to Lewis and Clark - Period maps and atlases from 1507 to 1805 focusing on the exploration of the central and western US.
- US Historical Topographic Maps - Historical topographic maps of US East Coast states from 19th and early 20th century, scanned from original US Geological Survey maps
- USMA Department of History Map Library - A comprehensive source of scanned battle maps from the ancient Greeks to the present provided by the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
- WWII Maps - 100 black and white WWII maps indexed by date, many with troop movement and battle locations indicated.
- Wyoming Historical Maps - Wyoming state maps depicting the emigrant trails of the late 1800s. Eleven maps prepared by L. C. Bishop available in small to large resolutions.
- Yale University Map Collection - 200 period maps and globes from 16th to 19th c., including world, continent, and city maps. Majority of maps are New World. Includes Lada-Mocarski, Cross, and Lanman map collections.